This post is part of TeachThought’s 30 Day Reflective Teacher Blogging Challenge.
Share five random facts about yourself.
1. I’ve been a vegetarian since 2008. I spent the spring semester in Sevilla and decided I had eaten enough meat to last me the rest of my life.
2.I taught Zumba fitness for a year. Sometimes I pull out my Zumba DVDs in class and we break it down.
3. I’m dysgraphic – I had a 504 in elementary school. My mom asked the doctor what to do to improve my handwriting, and he told her, “Teach her to type.”
4. Being a teacher was my back up plan. It stuck.
5. On my morning commute, I’m either listening to rap, reggaetón, Kevin Karla y la Banda, or NPR. But I always switch to NPR before I pull into the parking lot 🙂
Share four things from your bucket list.
1. Go to Argentina and see Iguazu Falls.
2. Go to Paris and wander the Louvre for hours and hours.
3. Visit Tikal, Palenque, Chichen Itza, Teotihuacan, and Macchu Picchu and revel in the wonder and glory.
4. Get my MA in Spanish or Linguistics.
Share three things that you hope for this year, as a “person” or an educator.
- I hope to spark curiosity about the world and inspire a love of language and culture in my students (or at least 1 student).
- I hope to make true personal connections with my colleagues. The friendships I made at my first job are treasures and I truly miss seeing those wonderful women day in and day out.
- I hope my classroom and my person are a place where my students and colleagues find kindness, respect, patience, clarity, and love.
Share two things that have made you laugh or cry as an educator.
1. That time my students called me out on speaking English:
Me: Hang on one sec, I’ve got to run to the restroom.
Student: Uh-unh, Ms. Brown – you gotta say it Spanish!
2. That time the annoying kid made even me laugh:
It’s fifth period, my wild and crazy class, just after lunch, my first year teaching. I am fruitlessly hitting my stapler against my desk, trying to unjam it so I can staple some papers and put them away.
Student: Ms. Brown! I can’t concentrate with you banging on the desk!
Share one thing you wish more people knew about you.
I am doing the very best that I can. Be gentle with me.